Thursday, April 12, 2012

Is Mostar a Kip?

My parents were staying in Croatia which they loved for the week and took a private tour to Mostar. I was hoping to accept s job here so they were on a scouting mission for me. They said that it was an awful kip. Lots of bombed out buildings, crime, poverty and intimidating, no nice cafes or restaurants and 20 years behind Croatia. Is this true or has anyone any other experience of Mostar. i had heard that it was really nice in my books and on the internet so I was dissapointed with their review.






|||



There are many bombed out buildings still there and other visible signs of war, but I felt safe when I was there a couple of years ago so I wouldn%26#39;t say it was intimidating. It truly is way behind Croatia though. It is such a beautiful place though. I enjoyed the little time I spent there.




|||



We were in Mostar in May 2008. The city has made great strides since the war.There are buildings still destroyed since the war but this has to be balanced by the amount of development undertaken .



We walked all over the tourist area late into the evening and never felt unsafe or intimidated as you have written.We spoke to several retailers and found everyone helpful and welcoming.



I have watched the DVD of the war ( Mostar )since returning from our holiday in Bosnia Herzegvina and Croatia and I admire everyone in those two countries for the way they have faced survival and recovery.




|||



In Mostar, many buildings has been patched up and repainted except for one side. I have a feeling that this is deliberate, showing off the bullet marks as a reminder. This may be intimidating.



Contrast this with a town to the west where every household has a Mercedes parked in front. I%26#39;d take that as another facet of intimidation.




|||



I%26#39;m really sorry to hear your parent%26#39;s impression was so bad, since this is a town that is very dear to me.





In my opinion, Mostar is a rare jewel, you just need to be open to experience it. Time of year, the weather, your tour guide, parts of town you visit - it%26#39;s also important as anywhere else. So please don%26#39;t be intimidated, give it a chance first and I guarantee it won%26#39;t disappoint you. You just need to have a little bit of adventurous spirit and explore by yourself.





I%26#39;ve been there on numerous occasions and I discover something new and exciting every time.





As for the bombed out buildings, you have to understand that this city has suffered a lot during the war, and some buildings cannot be repaired even 15 years after it due to very complicated political and economical situation. They weren%26#39;t left like this on purpose unfortunately (although this explanation might have more sense to an outsider).





About being 20 years behind Croatia, well it depends on what part of Croatia your parents were referring to (I presume Dubrovnik?). Bosnian tourism is a few years behind Croatian and another thing you have to take into consideration is that war in Bosnia lasted longer and was far worse than in Croatia, and political and economical situation is still not very good, as I already said.





Anyway, if you have any particular concerns and questions, feel free to contact me. If you%26#39;re going to work and live there for a while, I can put you in contact with a girl who was born in Mostar and might give you tips on everyday life.





Hope to see a good review about Mostar from you soon. :-)




|||



I thought Mostar was a most wonderful place and would go back in a heartbeat. I wrote a review of Mostar and posted it here...





http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?returnTo=__2F__%26amp;q=mostar+-+city+of+beauty+and+bullet+holes%26amp;sub-search=Go%26amp;geo=1





For what it%26#39;s worth I live in the Cotswolds, also a very beautiful part of the world so I am accustomed to gorgeous places. I hope this helps you make up your mind.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 03, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment