Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sarajevo and Sarajevo Haggadah

I (50 year young female)am currently planning my trip to Croatia with a detour to Mostar and Sarajevo. I am planning to fly into Zagreb and rent a car.It looks like Mostar is a day trip by car from Dubrovnik(am I correct)?.The main reason of my trip to Sarajevo is to visit The National Museum and see the famous Sarajeve Haggadah. Could anyone help me with the following:



1. I need inexpensive accomodations in Sarajevo.



2. Do I need to make a special appointment to see the Sarajevo Haggadah or it is available for viewing every day?



3. What days of the week/month the museum is closed?



4. How many days do I need in Sarajevo?



5. Is it a good idea to drive to Sarajevo from Dobrovnik, leave the car there and fly back to New York?



6. Any other suggestions are very welcome-it%26#39;s my first time



Thanks a lot




|||



Hi.





You%26#39;re right, Mostar is a day trip by car from Dubrovnik. If you can afford to spend the night and drive to Sarajevo the next day, even better. It%26#39;s probably better if you can leave the car in Sarajevo and save a few hours of driving back to Dubrovnik. Just make sure to check what flight options you have available and compare the prices. My guess is that it%26#39;s cheaper to fly from Sarajevo.





Check around TA for reviews, I think you%26#39;ll be able to find some fine suggestions for accomodation.





I think you don%26#39;t need a special appointment to see the Haggadah. The National Museum working hours are as follows:



15 Apr – 15 Oct: from Tuesday to Friday, from 10.00 to 17.00,on Saturday and Sunday, from 10.00 to 14.00



15 Oct – 15 Apr: from Tuesday to Friday, from 10.00 to 15.00, on Sunday, from 10.00 to 14.00





I%26#39;d say you need a minimum 2-3 days in Sarajevo, but could easily stay more, I don%26#39;t know how many you have available.





I have only one other advice, be careful on the road, it%26#39;s probably not as good as you are used to.





Good luck and have a safe trip.



Jasmina




|||



Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful.I am trying to put together my itinerary, too much to see and do in 2 weeks.




|||



For the readers who might know about the Sarajevo Haggadah (the book used at the Jewish Passover service) you might want to read %26quot;The People of the Book%26quot; which tells of the Sarajevo Haggadah%26#39;s travel through different historical times and events.



And to you, fellow New Yorker, if you are Jewish you might want to know about and see something in Mostar that would make every peace-loving person cry with joy. Mostar is one third each Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Muslim. Yet the town council awarded a piece of land to the Jewish community for their high-mindedness during the war of the 1990s, on which to build a synagogue. Thats the way the world should function!!!




|||



Brilliant comment, thank you (yes I am Jewish and I read the book), it gives me even more of the insentive to go to Bosnia




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment