Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Trip itinerary

Hi!





I%26#39;m really hoping for Sarajevo to be the centre of my next trip. Unfortunately it%26#39;s a bit of a pain to get to from Dublin. I was wondering if anyone could help with a suggested trip itinerary, with cities worth visiting on the way to/from Mostar %26amp; Sarajevo, and suggested modes of transport.





I can quite easily start the trip or end the trip in Dubrovnik, Zadar, Budapest, Vienna (or I can probably get to major cities nearby with relatively cheap connecting flights). I%26#39;d probably prefer starting in one of these cities, going through B%26amp;H and ending at another city, rather than back-tracking. In terms of things I%26#39;d like to see, I%26#39;m more into museums, galleries and sites of historical importance than I am into nature or partying.





I happy to take buses and trains (overnight trains are fine if they%26#39;re safe) and short-haul low-fare flights. I%26#39;ve thought about a rental car, but I drive automatic, so I assume it%26#39;s quite expensive.





I%26#39;ve got about 7-10 days, on a relatively lax student budget. I%26#39;d like to make sure I have at least two days in Sarajevo and a day in Mostar. Anything else is worth considering!





Any advice would be much appreciated!






|||



Have you ever consider Interailing? You can take the 5 days ticket within 10 days for 159e. You can start with a ryanair to prague/bratislava, spend few days there, go to bratislava, budapest croatia and bosnia.. Last time we interrailed to those countries and it was safe. Take an overnight train from Zagreb to Bosnia (depart 9 pm ) and as long as you take a couchette (10€ extra), it%26#39;s going to be safe!





My suggestion,



1st n 2nd day -prague



3rd day



- daily trip at bratislava



- bratislava to zagreb via budapest (there is no direct train to zagreb, you have to sleep at budapest)



(4th day)- spend whole day in zagreb before taking the night train to sarajevo..



5th and 6th day 2 days in sarajevo,



7th day 1 day in Monstar,



8th day go back to Budapest via zagreb/serbia



9th-10th day spend 2days in budapest





I%26#39;ve written some of my visit in these countries during my interrail trip at http://www.backpackers-zone.com if you want to have a look




|||



Hi! This is great advice and I really appreciate it.





Given the limited time, I think I can cut out Prague. I can get to Vienna/Bratislava relatively cheaply. And yes, interrailling seems to be the best way to get around, but with 10 days in the Balkans and so many cities, I may need more than 5 travel days. Should I pay for the cheaper routes without the interrail pass? Or should I pay for the overnights without it (so I can get a 1st class couchette)? Is it simple enough to pay the difference between 2nd and 1st class for sleeper trains, if I am using the interrail pass?





I was thinking of something like this:



Day 1: Vienna -%26gt; Ljubljana



Day 3: Ljubljana -%26gt; Zagreb



Day 4/5 (night train): Zagreb -%26gt; Sarajevo



Day 6: Mostar and back to Sarajevo (Day trip? feasible?)



Day 7/8 (night): Sarajevo to Belgrade



Day 8: Belgrade -%26gt; Budapest



Day 9: Budapest -%26gt; Vienna





Does that seem doable? Should any cities be added (in place of ones there) or removed (so there%26#39;s more time for other listed cities?





If sleeper trains are saving us from booking hotels for those nights, can we expect railway stations (like in Belgrade) to have baggage lockers?





Thanks again for your advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment