Thursday, March 29, 2012

University

Hi I%26#39;m trying to decide on where i want to study abroad for a semester abroad and I am considering The university of Sarajevo . Could any one tell me what the town and area is like for a University student and if anyone has ever been if they could tell me what the thought about their time there that would be great thanks in advance




|||



Hi.





Well, I imagine it%26#39;s not what you%26#39;d expect it to be. In Sarajevo, there%26#39;s no campus to begin with. There are some libraries where you could study, spread out through the city. Not many student organizations, but those few that exist are good in my opinion.





I don%26#39;t know what else to tell. If you were more specific about what you%26#39;re interested in, I might tell you more.





What do you want to study?




|||



Well I%26#39;m very intersted in the Balkan in terms of history but as well as international relations. I mostly wanna know If the area is good for University students(Safe, Things to do) and Wherever I go to school i wanna be able to travel, so whats is it easy and or inexpensive to travel to nearby countrys and in bosnia from Sarejvo? and also do you know if any classes are in english at the university? and do you go there? Thanks in advance




|||



I finished Uni, so I%26#39;m not so informed about things anymore. About the classes in English, I%26#39;ll ask around, I don%26#39;t really know. I thought you had something in mind already. :)





Sarajevo is pretty safe, if you follow some basic rules you%26#39;d follow anywhere else, like not to walk alone late at night in dark streets for example. Things to do - there are museums, galleries, theaters, some nice picnic spots, also some activities you can share with friends, like bowling, paintball etc. Club life is also famous, because most of the bars work (and are full) on weeknights as well as on weekends. In winter, you can go skiing to the Olympic mountains nearby. In summer, you can explore some wild beauty of the lakes and villages. I think there%26#39;s something for everyone, but you need to explore, cause information are not easily accessible, because even most Bosnians don%26#39;t know many things about their own country (which is starting to change).





About travelling, it%26#39;s pretty cheap, especially around Bosnia, which is still undiscovered trouristic destination. You can also find some affordable arangements for nearby countries.





I hope this helps a bit in your dillema. :)




|||



Thanks for the reply, right now im still in the early planning strage so im just trying to get a feel fro a variety of places. Ive come across the university of Mostar and that city looks gorgeous have you been? and theres a university in Tuzla. would you recommend these cities? or stick with sarejvo?




|||



early planning stages////////




|||



I%26#39;ve been to both cities and think they%26#39;re nice. Mostar being a more %26quot;lively%26quot; town than Tuzla. I don%26#39;t know about their universities though, but I presume all universities in Bosnia are about the same.





I%26#39;d personally stick with Sarajevo, well, because it%26#39;s my town :), but also because there%26#39;s much more to do here and it%26#39;s placed at the center of Bosnia%26amp;Herzegovina so it%26#39;s a good starting point for field trips.




|||



Mostar is a beautiful and vibrant city. I would look into it if I were you.




|||



I am currently facing the same decision, I`ve done a lot of reading, but haven`t had the opportunity to get some advice from a local.





Topics I%26#39;m worrying about are



- language: what language/dialect to learn



- accomodation: either university-facilities or own rent



- transport: wether to take my own car or buy one down there (I%26#39;ll try to travel a lot)



- sports: I%26#39;m all into sports climbing and mountainbiking, I%26#39;ll hope to meet up some local groups for that







Regards, Tom




|||



Hi Tom.





- Language - you mean local language? In Bosnia you%26#39;ll obviously learn Bosnian, but we understand Croatian ans Serbian as well (since all three are almost the same).





- Accommodation - definitely own rent. From what I%26#39;ve seen and heard, university facilities are not so good, especially cantine or the fact that you have hot water only on I think two weekdays and until 8PM or something.





- Transport - Cars get stolen or broken into a lot here, and police is not helpful about that. Foreign registration plates are a perfect bait. I%26#39;d advise buying the car here, if that%26#39;s possible at all (since you%26#39;re a foreigner I have no idea how will you register it).





- Sports - You%26#39;ll be able to find a couple of groups for the sports you mentioned. I%26#39;m not much into this, but I know some people who do rock climbing on Dariva near Sarajevo (ask locals how to get there once you%26#39;re here) on Sundays in the summer.





Hope this helps a bit.



Jasmina




|||



Hi Janina,





thanks you for your reply, sounds pretty good - nevertheless it will be quite an adventure for me, but I%26#39;m happy to take it.





Is there a good Website to check for rooms/appartments to rent?





I%26#39;ll see if it is possible to buy a car down there. Is there any advice on which cars do not get stolen? Probably an old %26amp; shabby car will do :)





Regards, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment