Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bosnia Language

I need English/Bosnian %26amp; English/Montenegro language phrase books for a trip in October. Already checked lonely Planet. They have Croatian but not the others. Any Ideas?.




|||



Croatian dictionary shoud be just fine for Bosnia and Montenegro.





Everyone will understand....check out %26quot;differences%26quot;, as per this web site...



www.canuckabroad.com/language/bosnian.shtml



www.canuckabroad.com/language/croatian.shtml





Also, I am willing to bet, that no one will not NOT talk to you just because you have used a phrase in %26quot;croatian%26quot; or %26quot;bosnian%26quot;%26quot;, which is crazy to begin with, since there is almost no difference.





Just the fact that you are trying to speak the language should count...





You should be OK with english as well, in most places...





Have fun.





M




|||



The pigeon Croatian we picked up from the Rough Guide to Croatia worked just fine in Mostar!




|||



I found a Bosnian phrase book on amazon.





In Montenegro the language is Serb.




|||



I am sure you will be just fine using English. We went to Mostar last summer and had no problems with the language. And if you are really worried, just get the Croatian phrasebook.




|||



Hello,



I too have travelled to Bosnia and found my pidgeon bosnian greatly accepted. The one occasion I made a complete a..e of myself was in Sarajevo in the Guiness Bar. I proudly ordered a guiness in bosnian (so I had thought) He brought my beer with a smile and said in perfect english I had just told him politley to go and P...off and get me a beer.



My bosnian friend had taken great delight in trying to teach me a few bad words and unfortunatey one sounded very similar to the other and I got confused.But,everyone saw I had tried very hard to communicate.So many people speak very good english and I have made many friends the last few years,but minding my language.I also used a croation phrase book.




|||



The joys of Communication eh!!!



I would love to have been a fly on your pint glass :-))




|||



Hi.





I have just arrived from my holiday in Bosnia and Montenegro and I did have some problems with the cyrillic alphabet in the road signs in some parts of both countries,





Unfortunatelly, I didn%26#39;t learn much bosnian or croatian, just some useful words like: %26#39;pivo%26#39; ;-)








|||



Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin languages are very similar and it is only dialects that can vary from one country to another. In Montenegro you might see Cirilic alphabet being used. Do not worry as everybody reads Latin alphabet. So if you can obtain phrase book in Croatian you will have no problems anywhere in those areas. Only Slovenia and Macedonia have different languages.





Montenegro Doncaster




|||



Pivo is definitely an important word to know. Even more important is veliko pivo!!!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 05, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment