Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Various Sarajevo/Bosnia-Hercegovina questions

Hi - A few questions:





1) I%26#39;m wondering if anyone knows the route and how long it would take to drive from Plitvice Lakes in Croatia to Sarajevo (in May)? I thought I%26#39;d read somewhere that it might take 4 hrs - true? Which border point would we be going through?





2) Does anyone have any experience flying from London to Sarajevo in May. I know BA flies there - what%26#39;s the cheapest fare you%26#39;ve found?





3) I%26#39;m travelling with 2 toddlers - if I take a pram, will it be useful i.e. hills are ok but steps probably aren%26#39;t. I%26#39;m interested in going to Sarajevo, Mostar , Blagaj, Pocitelj and if possible, some Bjelasnica mountain villages.





4) Am interested in visiting in visiting Lukomir/Umoljani - can these be done as a day trip from Sarajevo and can anyone recommend tour agencies that organise a trip to these places?





5) Finally, what is the weather likely to be like in mid to late May? Jumper or coat weather?





Thanks so much for any replies.




|||



Hi there,





I used to live in Sarajevo and your trip sounds amazing. I%26#39;m sure you will have a fantastic time. I%26#39;ll do my best to answer your questions:





1) I%26#39;m not sure how long it will take for you to drive this distance, as i%26#39;ve only ever got the bus from there to Sarajevo, but I believe it%26#39;ll take longer than 4 hours, possibly 6 or 7 (don%26#39;t take my word for it though!)





2) BA flights are from Gatwick only, and they%26#39;re currently the cheapest available at around £160 per person for a return ticket, but they only fly direct a few days a week.





3) There are a lot of hills in BiH, however, you shouldn%26#39;t have any problems wheeling a pram around in Sarajevo, Mostar or Blagaj, but Pocitelj has a lot of steps!





4) Lukomir and Umoljani are very secluded villages, neither of which are accessible by car and take a good 4-5 hours hike to reach. Check out http://www.greenvisions.ba and look under Hiking: Bjelasnica. Greenvisions is probably the best known tour agency and has a great reputation amongst foreigners, but is more expensive than other tour agencies.





5) Bring a light jumper as the weather can be unpredictable but i doubt you will need it!





I hope this information helps!





Roxy




|||



I did a search on Viamichelin.com and it said that the trip would be 5 plus hours. This would be going from Sarajevo across country to the Bihac area. I am not sure of the road qualities there and if five hours is a realistic time frame. If you are going to Mostar and Pocitelj, my advice would be to take in those cities on your way to the Croatian coast, then take the coastal highway to Split and then take the Croatian Autocesta to the Plitvice Lakes area.




|||



I%26#39;ve flown London-Sarajevo. I flew on BA/Malev through Budapest, though Adria looks to have some pretty competitive prices. Must admit, the Budapest-SJJ flight was pretty amazing since the flight was EMPTY. LGW-SJJ nonstop would probably be the best deal- I know they fly on Sundays, though I don%26#39;t know the other 2 days they fly- I think maybe Tuesdays and Thursdays, too.





As for organizing trips from Sarajevo- be sure to call Green Visions early- they seem to be a pretty big tour operator. I called them one day to ask if they were running any trips the next day, and they told me to call back the next day because they weren%26#39;t sure yet. When I called the next morning, they explained that they could only run a tour of Sarajevo because I had not given them enough advanced warning- overall, a pretty frustrating experience.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, September 11, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment