Thursday, April 19, 2012

staying in Mostar

Can anyone recommend a place to stay apart from the Hotel Ero?




|||



Any reason why you don%26#39;t want to stay at the Ero? We actually booked a night at the Ero and backed out of it when we decided not to stay in Mostar. I don%26#39;t think you are going to have too many choices for hotels in Mostar. Have you looked into the Bristol? I know there is also a hotel Neretva. How many nights are you staying? good luck in your search!




|||



I am staying for 4 nights. Nothing personal against the Ero, but I was hoping for a place with a kitchennete and more interaction with the locals - a pension or a B%26amp;B maybe...




|||



Saw in the news that someone fired a rocket propelled grenade at a mosque on the outskirts of Mostar. Also a Catholic cemetery was desecrated earlier in the week there. Not the safest place to be yet.




|||



This happens from time to time, but I believe that the city center is safe. The thing you should know is that all these conflicts between the nationalists in Bosnia and Herzegovina are addressed towards each other. So, tourists are mainly safe.




|||



I did feel safe in the center when I was in Mostar this past July and I would go back to Mostar, but there just was an eeriness about the place. I would hope that eventually things would be great there in the future, but the fact of the matter is that things are not perfect there quite yet. Mostar is a beautiful place with so much history and culture. I am just not sure its the safest place to be right now!




|||



there are plenty of clean, inexpensive pensions on the Muslim side of the river about 200-400 metres from the bridge. I paid 30 euros for a very nice double inc. breakfast 2 weeks ago




|||



...and yes, there is definitely a real edge in Mostar at the moment. Was there when the RPG attack happened and have to say, judging by what many locals told me, it wasn%26#39;t any great surprise it happened.




|||



Just got back from Mostar today. Had a really pleasant time wandering around the city. It felt perfectly safe. We had absolutely no problems!




|||



Were there lots of people there at this time of the year? Anyone still getting paid to jump into the river from the bridge? I am glad that you had a nice, safe journey to Mostar.




|||



I visited Mostar a couple of times this year but only for one day. I was amazed by this nice little place called %26quot;Kriva cuprija%26quot; (%26quot;Crooked Bridge%26quot;). I ate at the reastaurant, but plan to visit the motel too, as soon as I need it. :-)





Their website http://www.motel-mostar.ba can give you more information.





As for the people jumping off the bridge, it%26#39;s too cold for that in this time of year, but they%26#39;r jumping every summer, I believe there%26#39;s even a contest in July.





I%26#39;d also recommend visiting a free photo exibition, by the bridge, where you can see how Mostar looked during the black days. I was shocked to see it, because during the war I didn%26#39;t have a TV (in Sarajevo) to see how Mostar looked like, although it was similar to Sarajevo. You%26#39;ll be surprised to see how many transformations were needed to make Mostar%26#39;s old part as it was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment