Thursday, April 19, 2012

Srebrenica

Hello..I was wondering if this area of Bosnia was ok for a group of american tourists. I have read a lot about this area in the war and was wondering if we would be welcome here. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. How far is this from the Croatian coast? thanks.....






|||



Which area? Sarajevo and Mostar are nice places to visit, see culture, history. Tourists are welcome. As for distance, you must tell me where you are coming from. Dubrovnik to Mostar is just under a 3 hours drive. Sarajevo is less than 2 hours from Mostar. This all depends on how you are driving and whether you are making stops.





What interests you most about the war? Would you like to see museums, exhibits? I think that everyone should visit Vukovar.



Here you can find information on what to expect in Vukovar: members.virtualtourist.com/m/6040c/5dce2/





Last time I was in Sarajevo 4 years ago, there was still much visible damage from the war. Mostar%26#39;s famous bridge has been rebuilt, however, it will never be the same.





Here is an interesting collection of photos from during the wartime period in Sarajevo www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0302/rr01.html



Here is a travellogue written by someone visiting Sarajevo. It will give you an idea of what to expect bootsnall.com/articles/04-10/postwar-sarajev…



I searched the internet now trying to find a post-war picture of the Olympic tower from the %26#39;84 games in Sarajevo. It is heartbreaking. Seeing it made a great impression on me. I guess you%26#39;ll just have to go there and see it for yourself.




|||



I see now that you want to know about Srebrenica. These pages have some info members.virtualtourist.com/m/7ad3a/57cc3/





Mostar - members.virtualtourist.com/m/7ad3a/57eff/





I have never visited Srebrenica so I cant be of much help as far as that area is concerned. Perhaps you can email %26quot;Mina,%26quot; the girl who wrote the above travel pages.





A good travel itinerary, if these are the places you want to see, would be to go to Zagreb then to Varazdin (a beautiful baroque town with good sightseeing) then drive to Vukovar, which is a fast drive along a highway. From Vukovar go down to Srebrenica. Then down to Sarajevo, Mostar, and finally the southern dalmatian coast for some relaxation. You can find more info on that on the Croatia pages. How many night in each place depends on how much you want to see.





I was wondering why the great interest in the area and the war? Please let me know if you have more questions.




|||



Thank you very much for the information. You ask what interests me in this subject? Well I think i have read every book on the War in Croatia. I have a Croatian background and the war here intrigues me. I read the book End Game about Srebrenica and I have always tried to picture the places I was reading about. I have been to Croatia a couple of times but not ever into Bosnia except going to Medugorje for a couple of hours a year after the war was over. When I was there I didn%26#39;t feel too safe and was wondering how things have changed since ten years have passed. I know Sarajevo would be in the area too and I also would like to see Mostar someday. So thats my interest in this region. For the same reason I would like to see Vukovar, Osijek and that area. thank you very much marzbarz. I have been reading your posts and you are the most helpful and knowledgeable person on the site. Do you have a Croatian background too?




|||



Yes, Im Croatian. I have lived in Croatia (Zagreb and Dubrovnik), spent every summer of my life there (except for %26#39;91 and %26#39;92), and travelled all around the country including many of its islands. I found this website and now Im addicted to helping people find out more about our beautiful country :)




|||



Thanks again for the info. Were you born in Croatia? Now if I were to ask you what your absolute greatest place to go in Croatia what would it be? It sounds like you have been everywhere and I was just wondering what is in your opinion the best place. I have been to Dubrovnik twice and that is my favorite place. I also love the beauty of the Biokovo Mts in Makarska and the water is so crystal clear there. Have you been to Baska? thats another nice place that I have been to. I havent ventured into Istria much though but I didnt care for Rijeka, Opatija too much. so just wondering if there was one place for you what would it be? thanks....




|||



Thanks again for the info. Were you born in Croatia? Now if I were to ask you what your absolute greatest place to go in Croatia what would it be? It sounds like you have been everywhere and I was just wondering what is in your opinion the best place. I have been to Dubrovnik twice and that is my favorite place. I also love the beauty of the Biokovo Mts in Makarska and the water is so crystal clear there. Have you been to Baska? thats another nice place that I have been to. I havent ventured into Istria much though but I didnt care for Rijeka, Opatija too much. so just wondering if there was one place for you what would it be? thanks....





I was born in the states, and have lived here for most of my life. Just a few years I spent in Croatia, and like I said almost all of my summers. I have been rattling my brain to decide on just one place for you but its too hard. Every place has its own particular features that makes it unique. I lived in Dubrovnik and Zagreb, so Im biased to those two cities - love them! I have spent most of my summers in Makarska so that city has lots of personal ties to my heart, and the rest of the makarska riviera as well. Just one place would have to be Dubrovnik I guess, but isnt that obvious? History, culture, sea, islands, food, climate, it has everything that the other places wish they had - and for me it has the ultimate personal ties. Im so biased! I cant be asked this. I agree with you that Dalmatia is way better than Istra. When I was in Opatija I was so upset that all the beaches were manmade. After summers in Tucepi and Baska where the sea and beaches are gorgeous I was stunned to see no beaches!





ps. I feel like this is our own private forum because Im pretty sure no one else ventures onto this page. At least not on a semi-regular basis.




|||



I would have to agree with you on Dubrovnik. I have been up and down the coast twice now and I envy you that you are able to go every summer. As we are going along the coastal highway there are so many places that I would just love to stop in at. So many little beaches with people everywhere. So how long did you live in Dubrovnik? Did you live in the old town? What is it like there in the winter? Can you tell me the real story behind the people trying to stand up on the wall by the fountain in old town? I have watched them and wondered when that started and by whom? Are there many tourists there in the winter or does it get pretty slow? I have relatives in Zagreb and I like that place too but its hard for me to leave the coast. Actually leaving Dalmatia makes me sad. I absolutely agree with you on the concrete beaches in Opatija. The quality of the whole Croatian trip goes downhill once we get there. I did love Baska though. Just packed with people and the beach had sand on it. Well thanks again for all the insight. I am planning on going to Croatia again next summer. I can hardly wait.




|||



I lived in Dubrovnik for two years, not in the Old Town, but in the geographic center (between Lapad and Gruz). The wintertime doesnt get too cold, it rarely snows (last year it did, but it didnt stick - not even close), but its the bura that kills you. I would swear it was colder with that wind than in negative fahrenheit temps in the states.





There are still tourists, but obviously not nearly as many. They decorate the city around xmas and new years there is great. The step story is that it is a kind of test of manhood. You are supposed to balance on it, take off your shirt, and put it back on. Its very hard to do, and I have only seen little children do it which is kind of ironic, dont you think? haha





Zagreb is great in every season except summer. Its too hot there during summer, and the city dies down because everyone leaves for the coast. If you ever come in the offseason go to Zagreb. I love it.




|||



Hello Barry and others,





here is a link on Medjugorje - www.medjugorje.hr that is the official site of the parish office.





If you need any other information on Medjugorje I will be glad to help you. You can also e.mail me at





medugorje @ gmail. com





(I hav ethe spaces in the e.mail because of the robots on the internet that collect the emails for spam.)




|||



Yesterday police find explosive device in Srebrenica during preparation for 10 years of the fall

No comments:

Post a Comment