Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dubrovnik to Bosnia and Herzegovina

I%26#39;m going to Dubrovnik in August 07, and myself and my boyfriend were thinking of renting a car and driving to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Are we being really unrealistic here? Any ideas as to how long it would take. Car rental, is it reasonable? Would we have difficulty driving on these roads (we%26#39;re from Ireland) and whats the story with driving licenses?






|||



You should be fine, although the drivers over there can be somewhat reckless and agresive. You might be better off hiring a driver/guide combo.





And your question is not very precise: where in Bosnia do you want to go? If it is Mostar, you need 2 hours; to Sarajevo 4.



How long do you want to stay in Bosnia?





Hope this helped.



Good luck!




|||



Almost forgot, dunno what it costs in Ireland, but I know that compared with USA, car renting in Croatia is VERY expensive!




|||



Hi



I am also going to Croatai and Bosnia in August with my wife and 14 yr old daughter.



Car hire from Split airport Croatia for small car with a/c is around £240 for 10 days. I am told that the drive from Sarajevo (Bosnia) to Dubrovnik (on the Croatia coast) is a long one and can comfortably be done with some stops in around 7 hours. Is this true?



A UK drivers licence is OK so I presume an Irish one would also be OK.



Good luck.




|||



I think the 7 hours you stated might be a bit long, but close. I think Mostar to Sarajevo is about two hours and then the drive from Mostar to Dubrovnik is a bit over three hours. If you have the time spend some time in Mostar, its quite the eye opening experience. Also a neat place to stop is Pocitelj, a small town on the Neretva River before you get to the coast. Have a great trip!




|||



We visited Dubrovnik in 2004 and rented a car from Hertz for 4 days. Off the top of my head it was about E180 (expensive but worth every penny). It gave us so much freedom. However Hertz charged us E40 for tank only been 3/4 full(same as when we got it). You have been warned!!!





From Dubrovnik to Mostar is a fairly straightforward drive . On the way back to Dubrovnik try and avoid driving late as some parts of the road don%26#39;t have crash barriers on the right handside. That made me the co-pilot a little nervous! We didn%26#39;t encounter much crazy driving whilst there. I think you are more likely to see worse driving from Dublin to Cork! All you need is your full driving licence. If its your first time driving in a left hand car. Remember the center of the road is where the driver should always be!







We drove to Medjugorge where we stayed overnight and then drove on to Mostar. The road to Mostar via Medjugorge is really pretty and there are breathing taking views of Mostar from this road. We returned via a different route. We visited in May so traffic wasn%26#39;t a problem, but August probably will be busier.



We were only visiting for the day (regretted not staying overnight) :-(



At that time we were advised in Medjugorge to park at the R.C Cathedral in Mostar. You cant miss its from its roof. Large carpark.From here you can walk into the town center and get your bearings.





You won regret renting a car .



Good Luck :-)



P.s: Don%26#39;t forget the passports for going through the border checkpoint with Bosnia.




|||



Thanks for the massive response. I didn%26#39;t think anyone would write back. I had even put the whole Mostar thing out of my head because there were so many things I wanted to do in Dubrovnik, I wouldn%26#39;t be able to go there. And I wanted to relax a bit while over there too. Now I%26#39;ve decided, to hell with relaxing. That%26#39;s what nursing homes are for. So I%26#39;ll suggest it again to my lesser half, as he%26#39;ll be doing the driving.



So thanks a million everyone. :)



Claireconcept




|||



I would love to revisit Mostar soon.



At the time we were there the old bridge was still being reconstructed and all the roads were being recobbled. I think we were the only tourists in town that particular day.



I would recommend staying here over night. Great local restaurant at the roundabout in new town. I think it was called La Ronda or something. We got a great meal here. At the time there were few others opened.



If you get your car. Try and get to visit Ston and Mali Ston. Hope this info is of help.



Regards suzy




|||



Great decision to get to Mostar after all. I am pretty sure you will enjoy your time there. The shopping along the cobbled streets is great and just to see the bridge for the first time was awesome. I would go back to Mostar in a heartbeat. Have a great time in Mostar.




|||



We did the reverseways trip from Sarajevo back to Dubrovnik (via a beach are up towards Split). Bosnia is a wonderful country to visit. If you have the time go to Sarajevo. It%26#39;s a very moving expereince (try %26amp; get a guide).





Mostar worth an overnight stay - the bridge is reconstructed %26amp; see it when the tourists have gone home.





From there you’re not so far from Blagaj %26amp; the dervish house at the source of the beautiful Buna river





Poticelj is a lovely village %26amp; certainly worth a visit.





If you are interested here is a link to our web site with our photos %26amp; some more info: http://kardrew.50megs.com



You will need to paste into browser %26amp; may ned to disable pop up blocker. List of folders on left eg Dubrovnik, Sarajevo will take you to pics, blumph %26amp; other links





The Sarajevo to Herzogovina pages are most relevant.





...and you%26#39;re so right about that nursing home. I always mean to relax but get carried away!




|||



How do I get a local guide in Mostar?

No comments:

Post a Comment