Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Split to Mostar - best route to drive?

I have my Michelin map, and would like advice as to the best route to take from Split - as I see it there are 3 options..





1. Take the E65 Adriatic Highway towards Brela, turn left onto a main (red) road, cross the border at Posusje and continue to Mostar. This road seems to be numbered 39, 60 and 61.





2. Continue down the E665 past Brela and past Makarska take a more minor (yellow) road numbered 512 and 62, which crosses the border at Crveni Grm, and continues to Mostar.





3. Stay on the E65 right down to where it crosses the BiH border and then turn up the E73 to Mostar. This is obviously the %26#39;easiest%26#39; route, being major roads, and while the mileage is more would it be quicker?





We will be travelling back up the E65 later in the trip, so I would quite like to travel to Mostar using a different route.





Also what are the border crossings on smaller roads like? Are we likely to have any problems there, being 2 women alone (and one being a lovely tall slim 18yo blonde - sadly not me!)?





Any advice gratefully received...





I also have questions about drive from Mostar to Trebinje, and from there to Dubrovnik. Again if anyone has done this drive I%26#39;d like to hear from you please.




|||



I would say take route 3..I have heard that the other roads are absolutely crazy going over the mountains. When you are in the Makarska area you will realize that you probably wouldn%26#39;t want to drive a car over the mountains that you see. I have not personally been on these roads but my father has and he said it is a scary ride. On some of these roads there are not many guardrails and there are steep drops. If you want adventure go on either of those two roads, if you want safety take the main road.




|||



Thanks for your reply Barry.





I have read about the mountain roads being scary, and having a bit of a fear of heights I did wonder about unfenced bends, etc.





It just goes a bit against the grain to have to go the %26#39;long way round%26#39; but if it is the safest way then that%26#39;s Ok.





I just needed to hear someone who has driven there tell me!




|||



I have driven many times on those mountain roads and I must agree that route #3 is the best because it is the safest route. It is a bit longer but considering the poor quality of the mountain roads you have to drive very slowly so there is no time saving at all.



Those mountain roads have lots of curves, lots of up hills and down hills and the roads are very narrow - when there are two cars coming from opposite directions one of them has to wait for the other car to pass.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 28, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment