Thursday, April 19, 2012

Travel from Dubrovnik across the border to B-H and Srpska

I will be landing from a cruise ship in Dubrovnik. We are only in port 6 hours. Is there a way travel from the port of Kotor across the border into B-H and / or Srpska and back (no sightseeing) within that time frame to get my passport stamped?



Please reply to me directly at pdmaley@yahoo.com





thanks,



Paul




|||



I%26#39;ve never heard about such idea before. I%26#39;m stunned, really.





Yes, it%26#39;s possible. The closest Bosnian border from Dubrovnik is in Metkovic (I think). It should take about 3 hours of drive to get there. I don%26#39;t know about Kotor, I haven%26#39;t been there yet.





But I would really recommend you to spend those 6 hours in Dubrovnik, or Cavtat (if you%26#39;ve already seen Dubrovnik), both of which are nice places to explore. I mean, what does another stamp in your passport mean if you didn%26#39;t really experience those journeys?




|||



I agree that this is a crazy request for information. You must not know how beautiful Dubrovnik is! Yes, spend the time you have there to walk the walls and sample some Croatian food. You possibly to get your passport stamped in Montenegro, but going to Bosnia is out of the question. Next time take a real trip to Dubrovnik and take day trips to Bosnia and or Serbia!




|||



Thanks to the two replies so far. Actually we dock in Dubrovnik for 6 hours and Kotor for 6 hours. The map makes it appear Dubrovnik is VERY close to the Srpska border but it is not clear that it would really take 3 hours to get there. However, if that is the case, then clearly it is impossible to do the roundtrip to the border and make it back to the ship in time. I have been to Dubrovnik before so it is not a problem for me to give that up. If any other readers have any other suggestions as to how to make this work, I would appreciate it.





Paul




|||



Ok that clears things up for me. First of all in looking at a map...I don%26#39;t think it would be possible to get to the Serbian border and back in six hours. I think you could get to the border crossing in Bosnia and back in that time though. But when we went through the Croatian to Bosnian crossings our passports were not stamped..even though we didn%26#39;t ask for them to stamp them. How would you do this? Hire a taxi? I am sure a good Croatian driver could get to the Bosnian border and back in time if the price is right!




|||



One other thing - Srpska and Serbia (Srbija) is not the same thing.





I pressume that Paul meant Republic of Srpska, which is one of the two Bosnian entities. I%26#39;ve never travelled through it, but I believe there should be a road closer to Dubrovnik than the one I mentioned before (going to the other Bosnian entity - Federation of Bosnia%26amp;Herzegovina). A road that goes to Trebinje or some town near it. But I don%26#39;t believe that Croatian taxi drivers would like to go there, although I might be wrong.





If you meant Serbia, I believe that it%26#39;s too far from Kotor to reach in such a short range of time.





As for the stamps, I don%26#39;t think anyone would object giving you one if you ask politely.





And please, could you let us know how it turned out? I%26#39;m curios... Good luck!




|||



To clarify the request, I made a mistake in my first post. The trip to the border of Srpska would be made from Dubrovnik, not Kotor since that is too far away. I have been to Nis in Serbia before and so that was not my intent. The real challenge then is to get to the closest border crossing with Srpska only from Dubrovnik. Seems that I read this could be done from a guide book last year but I no longer have it. I am at sea this week and thought the best solution would be to check with someone in the vicinity. My trip is not until next spring at earliest.





Paul




|||



For heaven%26#39;s sake. There is no such place as %26#39;Srpska%26#39;. This is an adjective that means %26#39;Serb%26#39;. The name of the Serb entity of the country of Bosnia and Hercegovina is %26#39;Republika Srpska%26#39;. This means %26#39;Serb Republic%26#39;. The name was chosen to create an obvious distinction between this part of BiH (this is the abbreviation of Bosnia and Hercegovina in the language they speak there by the way, not another place to get your passport stamped) and the country of Serbia (or Srbija, see previous comment). How would you like your country to be referred to as %26#39;United%26#39;, particularly by someone who has no intention of actually going there for any meaningful purpose, but just wants to collect a passport stamp. However, well done for venturing out of Texas. Or is that %26#39;State%26#39;?




|||



Here is a reply to OFFROADWOMAN: Sorry, but our map structure here shows what is termed Republic of Srpska embedded within B-H. Therefore I am repeating what is shown in those maps. Thanks for correcting me.




|||



While it may not be perfect, I really take no offense when somebody refers to the USA as %26quot;the States%26quot;, or shortens Bosnia and Hercegovina to Bosnia. I agree the correct term is Republika Srpska, but I do not see any ill intent here.





The last I heard there is one border control force for all of Bosnia. I thought they did away with separate passport stamps a few years ago. I have not been there for awhile, and I have one passport stamp from the Republika Srpska, but I think those days are gone.




|||



I know it could break your heart if I notice you that officers on%26quot; Srpska border%26quot; have run out of ink, so you may get just one stamp,one of Bosnia and Herzegovina on border between Dubrovnik and Trebinje.




Its so enthusiastic, you really deserve to have all those stamps in your collection



P.S



Please notice us back how you enjoyed your TAXI ride to the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment