Thursday, April 19, 2012

Is Srebrenica safe?

I am considering moving to Srebrenica for a one year contract. Is it safe for me and my family? We are a young mobile couple but we are concerned about safety. Anyone have epxerience in this part of Bosnia?




|||



Hi.





I haven%26#39;t been there myself, but I watch the news often and haven%26#39;t heard about any incidents recently.





Although I%26#39;ve heard about some Muslims returning to their homes there, they have been some troubles with the Serbs. But, if you%26#39;re not Muslim, e.g. if you wife doesn%26#39;t wear a headscarf, you%26#39;ll probably be safe.





Having something to do in your spare time in Srebrenica is another story.




|||



My wife is Buddhist and I am Jewish. She is Asian from Thailand and I am from the U.S. Do we have anything to worry about? As for the living standards, how much money do we need to live a good lifestyle in this part of Bosnia?




|||



I suppose there should be no problems for you there.





As for the costs, I couldn%26#39;t say, but I%26#39;m absolutely positive that it will be cheap for you. I know some people in Sarajevo who live with 100 Euros, and Srebrenica is a lot cheaper. I guess everything above 500 Euros will do for a luxurious life in Srebrenica, if that%26#39;s possible over there. :-)





I will ask around about houses in Srebrenica.





When are you comming here and for how long? I saw in that other thread that you want a fully furnished house. How big? Also, if you have kids, are they going to go to school here and where exactly? Any other questions?





Could you leave me your e-mail address here, so I could contact you there from now on?




|||



We should be in contact via e-mail so that you can help me with some of my questions. My e-mail address is daveganz@hotmail.com



Thanks again for your time. David




|||



The genocide practised in Bosnia was intra-communal. How essentially decent people came to this pass is what we need to understand. However: it will be readily apparent that you are foreigners, and as such not associated with any of the indigenous factors that led people to kill their neighbours in the 90s. You will be treated with kindness and hospitality. It will be appreciated if you make an effort to learn the language a little. Your wife might get stared at sometimes if she is of Asian appearance, but not with hostility - it%26#39;s just that this is a part of the world that hasn%26#39;t had much population flow from outside Europe (in recent centuries), though the post-conflict years have seen soldiers and administrators from all over the world in every corner of Bosnia, so obvious difference is no longer such a novelty.





Don%26#39;t forget though what happened in Srebrenica. I%26#39;ve spent quite a lot of time there and it%26#39;s one of the saddest and most downright wrong places I%26#39;ve ever been. In my opinion, Srebrenica should be closed down and maintained in perpetuity as a monument to the inhumanity of mankind. But it%26#39;s not my place.





The local springs have been used as health-enhancing spas since at least Roman times, and there used to be important Roman silver mines there (hence the name). But this is not what Srebrenica will be remembered for in the history books.





Perhaps by living there you and your multi-faith, multi-cultural family will help to heal the wounds. It will probably get you down a bit though.




|||



It is very safe in Srebrenica, i think it is safer than most of the europe. But the town is small and depresive. Everything is cheap and i think that 1000€ will be more than enough for a month.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:46 am, January 28, 2007


|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 21, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment