Tuesday, April 17, 2012

racism in bosnia

I%26#39;m planning to travel with my Bosnian girlfriend in to Sarajevo next year. I%26#39;m black myself and wonder what, if any, issues I might encounter? Ive read horrific reports from other eastern european countries, even neighboring Serbia, of violent, race-motivated attacks, etc., Should I be concerned?




|||



Maybe you should post this on the Serbian or Croatian forums too? I can%26#39;t help you with this since I have not seen any racism firsthand. Maybe someone could give you insight into this on the other forums that are read more often. Since BiH is full of Croats and Serbs, maybe someone on the other forums can help you with this. I can tell you that in my travels in Croatia, I have seen very few black people. Good luck with this!




|||



Hi,



I am from Bosnia. I do not think you%26#39;ll have any problems in Bosnia.



I think you as a black person you%26#39;ll have good and fun time.



Don%26#39;t worry.






|||



Well hopefully the answer from Semir has satisfied you. I would also like to think that you would have no problems, but don%26#39;t know enough about racism in this part of Europe. Have a nice trip!




|||



I was actually looking on the Serbia Montenegro forums and a question much like yours was on there. Take a look and you will see what has been said on that forum.




|||



I would be very surprised if you encountered any form of rascism other than some odd looks!





I lived in Sarajevo for almost 4 years and have recently returned to London. My colleague there was not only black but also gay (still frowned upon there) and he had no problems whatsoever. It is unusual to see coloured people in Sarajevo, but the locals are more intrigued by it than anything!





I hope you have a great time in Sarajevo and experience the wonderful hospitality that Bosnians are renowned for!




|||



Just to tell you that one of the most popular basketball players in Bosnia is black: Lance Williams. He used to play in Greece and Poland but came back to Sarajevo as he liked it more than these countries.



Here%26#39;s what he said after he signed the contract for the second time: %26quot;I am very happy to be back to Sarajevo where I will again play for the best European fans.%26quot;




|||



Being black is not what can cause you any problems in Sarajevo. I am born in Sarajevo and I have never heard of any racist incident.





Furthermore, you can see certain number of black people playing sports here or serving at the international organizations. I am sure they would not stay here if they were attacked for their skin color.





Enjoy your stay!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 08, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment